A gluten-free, vegan donut by Borough 22 won the Free From Food Product of the Year award. The Free From Food Awards jury selected the bakery product out of over 550 entries, which were evaluated over 12 weeks, before the award ceremony held on June 8.
Borough 22’s virtually ‘allergen free’ doughnut contains only gluten-free oats. Among the declarable food allergens, the custard-filled delight was declared “the best thing I’ve ever eaten in my 14 years in ‘free-from’”, by one of the judges, while another described the product as “absolutely knockout — the texture, taste, mouthfeel and overall flavor are all revelations”.
For the fourth successive year it was a tight contest between free-from heavyweights Tesco and Asda for the Retailer of the Year award, with Asda snatching back the title belt from Tesco, while the Co-op successfully defended their Convenience Retailer of the Year crown.
Borough 22, named after London’s borough where it resides, was founded by Ryan Panchoo in 2011 when his family experienced symptoms of gluten and dairy intolerances.
View this post on Instagram
Nairn’s wins big
Nairn’s Oatcakes won a record eight medals at the first in-person Fre From Food Awards since 2019:
- Gold – Sourdough Flatbread (grocery category)
- Silver – Scottish Porridge Oats with Maple Syrup (breakfast and morning goods category)
- Silver – Raisin, Apple & Cinnamon Crunchy Oat Bars (healthier snacking category)
- Silver – Honey Crunchy Oat Bars (healthier snacking category)
- Bronze – Belgian Chocolate Chunk Healthy Oat Bars (healthier snacking category)
- Bronze – Dark Chocolate & Coconut Chunky Oat Biscuit Breaks (tea time category)
- Bronze- Dark Chocolate Chip Oat Biscuit Breaks (tea time category)
- Bronze – Choc Chip Oaties (tea time category)
“A brilliant reminder of what a great team effort can look like. Special thanks to our marketing, NPD, operations, technical, supply chain, engineering and GF bakery teams for making these products happen,” Nairn’s expressed gratitude in a LinkedIn post.
Photo: Borough 22 social media